Just when we think we’ve got all the social media platforms we need, a new one (doing the same thing, but a bit differently) comes along which everyone jumps on. Brands have to act fast. To follow their audiences, and try and to pick up some new members along the way.
With Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, WhatsApp, YouTube, Snapchat, and now TikTok, it’s a lot of work to stay on top of – having moved on from MySpace, Google+, Vine, Bebo.
Each channel brings its own benefits, engaging with a slightly different audience in each. Given that every other brand is fighting for the attention of the same audience, more work is needed to keep things fresh and new, to draw people towards the brand.
Even though the social media platforms are the cool kids on the block, it’ll never out do a good old fashion email – and here’s why.
- First, and most importantly, is trust. In order for someone to give you their email address, they must have trust in you and what you offer. Through that trust, it’s easier to sell a product or service, so long as that trust isn’t abused. A well planned email campaign will always have a better ROI with a well segmented email list, than trying to acquire new customers through social media channels
- Email is an owned channel. Your customers have already given you permission to send them relevant information and offers (make sure you do that)
- No other distractions. You’ll have someone’s attention for as long as the email is open, and your customer is captivated by what’s on offer
- No 15 seconds of fame. With most “stories”, on social platforms, lasting 15 seconds before moving onto the next, you’ve got a lot to do to hook a customer
- Give your customers what they want. With control of your email list, with good segmentation and personalisation of content, you’ll give people more of what they want
- You own your email list. If your ESP disappears you still have your list. The same can’t be said if your social media provider disappears (remember MySpace and Google+?) Plus social media companies can delete your account at any time, no matter who you are or how many followers you have
- No pay-to-play or social media algorithms. You used to be able to grow followers organically using social media but not any more, now you have to pay. And algorithms are often tweaked causing what worked last month not to work this month
- More likely to buy more. With a well segmented mailing list, you’re more likely to find customers will buy more from you
- Email allows you to help your customers more. With permission you can see first-hand what matters to each customer and honour that wish. Paid channels don’t want you do know that
Email might not be the cool kid, but it gets the results.
Analysts agree; that emails still offer the best ROI for any form of marketing. From $38 – $40 for every $1 spent, that’s 3800% to 4000%!
For those who do email well, the results are even more inspired with some customers who hyper-personalise seeing almost 30% uplift in revenue vs none personalised.
Altaire has the expertise to help you with any phase of your marketing planning. We have the tools and infrastructure to add 1-1 personalisation to your emails at scale, tailoring content that’s specific to your each customer.
Get it touch for real-world demos and to discuss how we can help grow your brand.